Rules of Conduct
1. Legal basis
The Rules of Conduct serve the informal and formal care and education of children from the age of 18 months, until the end of schooling.
2. Admission criteria
- Admission to GIS is open to students of all nationalities who demonstrate the ability to access and benefit from the challenging international curriculum and programme offered by the school.
- Children are admitted from the age of 18 months. According to prior agreements with the Kindergarten coordinator, it is also possible to join Kindergarten group at the age of at least 12 months.
- Admission of children is dependent on the number of available places. If there are insufficient vacancies, selection will take place according to the following criteria: On the basis of the date on which application for admission to the German International School was made and the application fee payment was already done.
- Written registration may be made at any time.
- Those registering children are required to provide information about the child and the child’s parents/guardians when submitting a registration. For this purpose, a registration form must be filled out, signed and returned to the school management.
- Personal information will be treated confidentially and will not be passed on to third parties.
- Admission does not take place at any fixed time.
- The school management will in all cases decide on the admission of a child and will accord due consideration to relevant social and educational factors in reaching this decision.
- No formal right to a place in the institution is established until a written educational and childcare agreement between parents and the German International School is in place.
5. School year
The school year begins on 1 July each year and ends on 30 June of the following year.
6. Opening times
- The German International School reserves the right to amend opening times for human resources or other reasons. Parents will be advised without delay of any such amendment.
- Regular daily opening times are Monday to Friday from 8.00am till 4.30pm and Saturdays from 10 am to 2 pm. The operational schooling timing are: Monday to Friday from 8.30am till 3.45pm. The dropping and pick up times differ from the regular daily opening times (compare the class timetables).
- Parents and guardians are required to comply with the usual drop-off and pick-up times punctually and regularly.
7. Holiday periods/times of closure
- Times of closure are stipulated by the team and will be informed to the parents and displayed on the notice board.
- The German International School may close the institution at short notice without assuming liability for any financial loss which may arise in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
- The fees payable, the form in which payment must be made and the due dates of fees are stated in the admission policy.
- Fees are also payable during periods of closure including holidays, in the case of long-term absence of a child, in cases where short notice has been given that parents will not avail themselves fully of periods of childcare booked and during the period of notice prior to any cancelation.
- Nutritious meals are prepared by our chef and served in the campus itself. These costs are not included in the school fees. They are separately billed on the invoice. The students are not allowed to bring their own food & beverage.
- Parents are able to view the menu plan for the month on the website.
The German International School assumes a duty of supervision during the period of attendance at the school and in respect of any events staged by the school.
This duty of supervision begins once a child has entered the school and his or her presence has been registered with staff. The duty of supervision ends when the child leaves the school.
At events staged by the school at which parents/guardians are also present, the duty of supervision is incumbent on parents/guardians.
The duty of supervision during a child’s journey to/from the school is incumbent on parents/guardians. The school management must be informed in writing if a child is to be picked up by a person other than its parent/guardian.
- The German International School cannot accept any liability for loss, confusion or damage to clothing or any other valuables in the possession of a child.
- Parents/guardians are liable for any deliberate damage to school property caused by children. Parents may be liable in certain circumstances for harm occasioned to a third party by children. For this reason, we recommend that parents/guardians take out private liability insurance.
- No claims for compensation may be asserted against the German International School in respect of closure of the institution.
- Personal injury occurring during the stay in the premises or the grounds of the German School in Chennai are not insured. Insurance of the children through their parents is therefore recommended.
- Management must be informed of any specific circumstance relating to a child’s health or constitution such as disabilities, allergies or intolerances.
- Children who are ill may not attend the school during their period of illness and have to be symptom-free for at least 24 hours. The same applies if infectious diseases are present within a child’s personal living environment. The school may require the prior submission of a medical certificate before a child is readmitted.
- The school management must be notified of illnesses without delay. The reason for illness and the prospective duration of any such illness must also be stated.
- Persons who are suffering from a transmissible disease may not enter the school.
- If such illnesses occur, the relevant authorities may order the closure of the institution for the purpose of preventing and combating transmissible human diseases.
- Parents have to follow the sick regulations, which are attached to the School Policies.
13. Notice of termination by parents/guardians
- In case of termination of the school, contract parents have to submit a written notification to the school minimum one month in advance.
- School fees will not be refundable.
14. Exclusion and notice of termination by the German International School
- A child may be excluded from the further attendance of the school either in whole or in part if reasons attributable either to the child or the parents/guardians make such an exclusion necessary (frequent unexcused absence by the child, non-payment of fees).
- Exclusion may also take place in circumstances where parents/guardians have failed to meet their obligation to pay fees for the previous two months despite having received a reminder that such fees are due.
- Children must be temporarily excluded from attendance at the school in the event of suspicion of an infectious disease or in the event that a child is seriously ill.
- The school reserves the right to terminate the contractual relationship with the contracting party prematurely if interference on the established and exercised school operation is indicated. The School will send the contracting party a prior notice in form of a registered letter. If there is no change in the conduct of the contracting party, a termination of the contract for good cause will take place, which leads to the prohibition of entering the premises of Deutsche Schule.
15. Cooperation of parents/guardians
- Cooperation and understanding on the part of parents/guardians are an essential prerequisite for the provision of high-quality and sustainable pedagogical work within the school. For this reason, parents/guardians should attend parents‘ events on a regular basis and should avail themselves of the opportunities to discuss their children’s progress.
- It is in the interests of the pedagogical work we pursue and in the child’s own interests for children to attend the institution on a regular and punctual basis in accordance with the agreed reserved childcare periods.
- In order to ensure availability in the event of an emergency, parents/guardians are requested to provide their address, private and mobile telephone numbers and wherever possible a telephone number on which they may be reached at work. The school management should be notified without delay of any changes to this information and should, in particular, be advised when parents/guardians move house or relocate temporarily (e.g. holiday).
16. Property rights
Property rights in respect of the school are exercised by the school management and the management of the German International School.
17. Entry into force
These Rules of Conduct enter into force on 1st of July 2012.